this will be me

this will be me

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Getting Closer

So today was a million different aspects of Bike and Build all in one day. I awoke bright and early at 5 am, so that I could eat and get on my bike by 5:25 am to make sure I made it out to a bike shop (Smart Cycles) in Glenview by 6 am to take part in a group ride.



It was beautiful out at 5 am. I was pooped all day or I would get up just as early tomorrow - as it stands, its past my bedtime anyway because I gave into the temptation of another cup of coffee.



Anyway, only two other riders showed up - two men in their 30s (I'm horrible at guessing ages, they each had multiple children under the age of 10). They were very nice, but we didn't have a whole lot to talk about. The one lives in "the Glen" a planned community which while very nice looking, feels a little eerie to me - in a Pleasantville mixed with Newtown, MO sort of way. I still shop there, so I guess I've accepted it that much at least. (I Really like the prairie that is in the neighborhood and the education center that goes with it. Illinois is the prairie state, we gotta keep some small chunks of it around.)



They both chatted away about the different bike races, triathalons, marathons and everything else they were involved in. I think that on our ride they were being nice to me, because I got the feeling that they totally could have smoked me. I was glad to not be left in the dust as a slow newbie might be.



After riding I don't know how far, we parted ways them to work and taking children to school and me to make my restful way East and home.



I'm out the door at 10 am. I knock on door after door... for about 20 minutes. No dice. This is not the time to catch stay at home moms for a donation. I'll try back later.



11 am rolls around and I head to the Interfaith Housing Center just a mile and a half or so from my house. As a bike and builder I've gotta put in sweat equity hours with an affordable housing organization. They put me to work doing the tedious, but surprisingly educational task of calling every number on their resource list. I had to check the information - contact, name, services provided, restrictions, target service audience and others of a slew of organizations that provide services relating to housing, so that if a client calls the Interfaith Housing Center about something they don't deal with they can refer them. Talk about a crash course on the resources available in Chicago. I know where to get a meal, clothes, place to stay, counseling if you need any of it.



By this time its 1:30, I head home for a late lunch. Then to an eye appointment (I need contacts so that I can wear sunglasses that aren't prescription). A few odds and ends errands and then I hit the street again at 5 pm.



This time I hit the jackpot - one of the first doors that opens to me is by a cyclist! People who ride bikes seem to really like that Bike and Build has connected them to service. But after that first generous donation I get no after no after. Its discouraging. Apparently there is even another bike and builder who lives down the road from me! She is on another route, so I never encountered her name anywhere. Tomorrow I think I'll look her up just to say hello.



After too many unfruitful knocks and rings I decided to walk a slightly different area - a whole block away. Now I was getting somewhere! I got yes after yes, and after an hour and a half had collected $185.



So now here are my stats:

12:08 am

12 days since I graduated

$3443.12 raised or pledged

0 hosts left to secure

5 days before I arrive in Providence

11 days before we begin to bike

1 comment:

David said...

is there a schedule of what days you're in what places? thanks.