this will be me

this will be me

Monday, May 28, 2007

7 days

Current Status:
1:01 pm
10 days since I graduated
$3265 raised or pledged
0 hosts left to secure
7 days before I arrive in Providence
13 days before we begin to bike

Yesterday I took a ride around my home neighborhood. Its pretty, but I was surprised to see "No bikes on roadway" signs very frequently. One driver was also extremely eager to inform me of that law shortly before I passed the first sign to that effect.

In St. Louis it is illegal to ride on the sidewalks. I used to ride on the sidewalks sometimes and more than once I got yelled at by pedestrians. So I switched to the roads, where periodically I'd get yelled at by motorists, but I figured I had the law on my side. I guess I'll have to be more aware about the different bike laws in different places (I'm fairly up on the laws regarding bikes and buses/trains). Laws restricting the roads bikes can take (I'm not talking interstates, even though in some states it is legal to ride on the interstates) make it harder for a bike to be your main transportation, which is a shame.

I hope to avoid buying a car, so my bike will have remain my everything. I'm planning on moving to North Carolina with my friend from Winnetka, so I may cave - public transportation isn't real comprehensive there I hear. We'll see, by the end of this summer I'll be able to tackle some serious distance, so maybe I can make it work.

In the meantime, I'm so excited that I get to get on the road in less than two weeks!

No comments: